ethernet driver - problem capturing own packet in promiscous mode

Cote, Sylvain Sylvain.Cote at verint.com
Wed Jul 15 22:22:23 EST 2009

> Hi all

> In ethernet driver  i need to enable promiscous mode and have to capture the packet that is sent by the same ethernet.

> The board is connected to a packet generator and could send/receive packets  whenever i need .

> In the board ethernet driver , I made sure that am sending only broadcast packets and promisc mode is enabled but the packets are not captured. If i am sending a packet to the board from packetgenerator it is receiving.

> Could any one please suggest me any clues.

> Having the promisc enabled:
> Packet sent by packetgenerator is received by board.
> Packet sent by board is received by packetgenerator, The same packet should be captured by board as promiscuous is enabled. but not happening.

The Ethernet interface that sent the packet will never receive the packet it sent even if you are in promiscuous mode.  To be able to do that you should put your interface in loopback mode.
In promiscuous mode, you will be able to receive any packets sent by other interfaces (broadcast, multicast and also unicast that is not directed to you interface MAC address).  But not
from your interface.

Regards

Sylvain

This electronic message may contain proprietary and confidential information of Verint Systems Inc., its affiliates and/or subsidiaries.
The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or
entity(ies) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive this e-mail for the intended recipient), you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to anyone this message or any information contained in this message.  If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us by replying to this e-mail.