any luck with wireless USB adaptors?

Mike Timmons mike_timmons at trimble.com
Tue Jan 27 17:50:23 EST 2009

Thanks. Yes, USB  wi fi is what I'm after.  I did find the driver I
needed after enabling the WLAN80211 and EXPERIMENTAL options. The device
discovery appears to work, and with wireless tools I can iwconfig and
see my interface.

QUESTION: when I "ifoncfig wlan0 up" it results in an attempt to load a
firmwmare file as follows. as you can see, it fails. What are these
firmware files? I can't find it in my build output. How do I build it or
where do I get it? Where would I put it on my target?

I did search for answers to these questions and tried to stick an
rt73.bin of unknown origin (to me anyway) in /lib/firmware but I got the
same error.

-sh-2.05b# ifconfig wlan0 up
[ 2212.027071] phy1 -> rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Info - Loading
firmware file 'rt73.bin'.
[ 2272.058793] phy1 -> rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Error - Failed to
request Firmware.
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory

Thanks again,
Mike