Ebony DTS compile error

Rob Gubler rgubler at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 12:07:41 EST 2009

Hello,

I'm an ELDK 4.2 user.  I'm trying to compile the ebony.dts file included in
the 2.6.24 kernel but the Device Tree Compiler, dtc, complains of a syntax
error.

ELDK provides me with a binary for dtc, but the command line arguments
specided by the ELDK documentation are not supported with the version of dtc
thats provided with ELDK 4.2. Unfortuntely whatever version of dtc is not
specified by the binary (as best I can tell). So, I used only the arguments
that were supported but was unable to produce the dtb.

Here is the output:

# /opt/eldk/sbin/dtc -I dts -O dtb -f arch/powerpc/boot/dts/ebony.dts  >
~rob/ebony.dtb
DTC: dts->dtb  on file "arch/powerpc/boot/dts/ebony.dts"
syntax error at line 45
FATAL ERROR: Couldn't read input tree

# cat -n arch/powerpc/boot/dts/ebony.dts

    44          UIC0: interrupt-controller0 {
    45                  compatible = "ibm,uic-440gp", "ibm,uic";
    46                  interrupt-controller;
    47                  cell-index = <0>;
    48                  dcr-reg = <0c0 009>;
    49                  #address-cells = <0>;
    50                  #size-cells = <0>;
    51                  #interrupt-cells = <2>;

At this point I went and downloaded the latest version (DTC 1.2.0-gb2b4990b)
of dtc from: git://www.jdl.com/software/dtc.git and tried compiling
ebony.dts.  This time I was able to use all of the arguments specified by
the ELDK documents, but I also ran into problems.  This time dtc complained
about the opening bracket.  I read the dtc documentation and it appears it
should be treating ebony.dts as a "version 0" file because "/dts-v1/;" is
not specified.

Here is the output

# ~rob/dtc/dtc -b 0 -V 17 -p 0x1000 -I dts -O dtb -f
arch/powerpc/boot/dts/ebony.dts > ~rob/ebony.dtb
DTC: dts->dtb  on file "arch/powerpc/boot/dts/ebony.dts"
Error: arch/powerpc/boot/dts/ebony.dts 14:0 - 1:0 syntax error
FATAL ERROR: Unable to parse input tree

# cat -n arch/powerpc/boot/dts/ebony.dts

    12   */
    13
    14  / {
    15          #address-cells = <2>;
    16          #size-cells = <1>;

Is anyone aware of a version of DTC that will compile the ebony.dts file
included with the 2.6.24 kernel?  Or, an updated ebony.dts file that works
with DTC 1.2.0-gb2b4990b.  Any other suggestions would be great.  Thanks!

-Rob