Device Tree setup for 8272-based board

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Wed Jan 21 03:41:24 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 06:23:08PM +1100, Daniel Ng wrote:
> PID hash table entries: 128 (order: 7, 512 bytes)
> time_init: decrementer frequency = 16.500000 MHz
> time_init: processor frequency   = 330.000000 MHz
> clocksource: timebase mult[f26c9b2] shift[22] registered
> clockevent: decrementer mult[439] shift[16] cpu[0]
> Console: colour dummy ü
>
> -at this point the board just reboots.

Looks like something goes wrong when the real serial driver kicks in.

> I thought it might have been to do with:
>
> 'No hpxred-bcsr in device tree'
>
> If I add in a 'BCSR' node to my Device Tree I get the following:

Don't add random nodes unless they correspond to hardware that's actually
there.

> Which leads me to think BCSR is irrelevant for my board. What is BCSR?

Board control and status registers.

> Another possibility might be that I have set the following in the kernel-
>
> CONFIG_HZ=250
>
> -this is in contrast to the above reported 330Mhz.

Those are two different things.  CONFIG_HZ is the frequency of timer
interrupts that Linux requests.

> In the "2.6.14+old u-boot" setup, I had also configured u-boot such
> that the memory was set to 64MB, but I told the kernel it was either
> 32MB or 64MB depending on what was physically available. This was so I
> could use the same u-boot for boards with either 32MB or 64MB. Is it
> still possible to do this for the new u-boot and kernel 2.6.27?

Yes, but it would be much better if u-boot could figure this out
dynamically.

-Scott