Linux on Memec Virtex4 FX12 Minimodule

Pawel P. Kusmierski loko-r at el-kfa.net
Wed Jan 7 12:02:00 EST 2009

Dear friends,

I have a following problem:
I'm trying to boot linux kernel on a PowerPC405 inside a Virtex4 FX12
sitting on an Avnet/Memec FX12 Mini Module plugged into its mother board.
I was able to go as far as booting the kernel, mounting a nfs root,
as well as an ext2 one sitting on a sysace CF.
The problem is that the kernel stops outputting the following line:

Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

Now, I know the init is being found, both in ext2 and nfs setup, has the
right rights, and all. I tried supplying a simple printf C program as
init, even an assembly one, with one stupid syscall to write out a line,
with the very same effect.
I edited the init/main.c file around the run_init_process(), and modified it
to analyse the kernel_execve return value. The effects are:

Freeing unused kernel memory: 104k init
Failed to execute /sbin/init: -2 <4>: No such file or directory.
Failed to execute /etc/init: -14 <4>: Bad address.
Failed to execute /bin/init: -14 <4>: Bad address.
Failed to execute /bin/sh: -14 <4>: Bad address.
Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

and after I deleted /sbin/init the effects were:

Failed to execute /sbin/init: -2 <4>: No such file or directory.
Failed to execute /etc/init: -2 <4>: No such file or directory.
Failed to execute /bin/init: -14 <4>: Bad address.
Failed to execute /bin/sh: -14 <4>: Bad address.

The interesting thing is, that in both cases /bin/init does not exist,
and /etc/init does.

Now am I searching already too low or yet too high?
I put my kernel configs, dmesgs and xparameters.h here:
http://keymaster.el-kfa.net/~loko/linux-ppc/

My kernel is pulled from git://git.xilinx.com/linux-2.6-xlnx.git
I'm using ARCH=ppc in the makefile and building both the kernel
and the apps (including the buildroot on the nfs and sysace)
using the same crosstool setup, gcc-3.4.5-glibc-2.3.6.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
--
Pawel Kusmierski
loko-r a.t el-kfa.net