Why did you merge two mailing lists?

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 22:49:49 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 09:26:01AM +0000, Mohammad Sadegh Sadri wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>First i should say thanks for your efforts and managing the mailing lists, it is great work and i know that well.
>I can not understand the reason of merging PPC-embedded and PPC devel mailing lists and as you see there are many people just interested in ppc embedded and messages there. they do not have any interest in what is going on in ppc devel.

Then use digest or don't subscribe.  These are development lists, not end user lists.

>For me, i was interested to read messages regarding Xilinx embedded powerpc core. I was just wanted to be informed about new patches, new changes, new drivers and so. and I think this is the same for many of the members of ppc embedded since Xilinx disscussion has been always one of the most active ones in that mailing list.

It was almost the only discussion on-going.  I like Xilinx just as much as the next
guy, but there are other implications below.

>Now, after the merge we are receiving lots of emails which are not related to our job.

Mailing lists are not job specific.  They are powerpc development specific, and that
ranges from the big servers to the small embedded boards.  Having to post to both lists
for a set of patches (or likely missing patches that were on -embedded) is a waste of
developers time.

>So one should look at all of the email subjects carefully to filter those related to his own job and this is some thing really time consuming and boring
>specially with the very high traffic of this mailing list.

There is a digest mode available.

josh