AMCC ppc440spe 2.6.23.10 kernel boot help

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Feb 12 10:55:33 EST 2009

Dear "Shubhada Pugaonkar",

In message <8A71B368A89016469F72CD08050AD33402D57544 at maui.asicdesigners.com> you wrote:

> I am trying to bringup AMCC ppc440sPE  board with 2.6.23.10 kernel from

2.6.23.10 is very old. Please use current code. 2.6.23 was long before
the switch to arch/powerpc, so all the efforts you are spnding now on
this old stuff are really wasted.

Use at least 2.6.28 or later.

> kernel.org. My .config file is attached. I used ARCH=ppc and

Why don't you start with a good, known to work kernel config file
like 44x/katmai_defconfig ?

For example, you mention a 440SPe processor above, but your config
file seems to be derived from a Luan board, which is 440SP (not SPe)
so there is not much surprise if it doesn't work.

> CROSS_COMPILE=ppc-linux- (also tried ppc_4xx-) and did 'make uImage',
> but unable to boot into the kernel. My nfs and uboot settings seem to be
> correct. The kernel gets stuck as shown below. Any help appreciated.
> Please let me know if any more information is required.

In the first place, please use current code.

Second - which exact board is this? Katmai?

> => run flash_nfs

What exactly are your environment settings? Which exact value of
"bootargs" do you pass to Linux? Does it include a valid console=
argument?

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"If you'll excuse me a minute, I'm going to have a cup of coffee."
- broadcast from Apollo 11's LEM, "Eagle", to Johnson  Space  Center,
Houston July 20, 1969, 7:27 P.M.