FPGA IRQ design question

Eddie Dawydiuk eddie at embeddedarm.com
Thu Apr 23 00:49:38 EST 2009

Hello,

I'm working on a board based on the Yosemite AMCC 440EP. We have an FPGA
connected via the PCI bus, and has an IRQ line connected directly to the 440EP.
The FPGA implements two registers to indicate which core generated the
interrupt. So now the question is from a design standpoint is it preferable to
setup the IRQ as a single external IRQ then have each driver request this same
IRQ. In each ISR the driver is responsible for checking the FPGA registers to
see if the interrupt is intended for itself. Or would it be preferable to modify
the lower level irq routines such that multiple software/virtual(not sure what
the right term is here) irqs are created corresponding to the single external
IRQ. Then abstract the details of the FPGA interrupt registers from each driver.
Such that each driver request the proper software/virtual IRQ and requires no
knowledge of the fpga irq registers. Any comments would be appreciated.

--
Best Regards,