freeze when reading a PCI bridge register

tiejun.chen tiejun.chen at windriver.com
Wed Apr 22 19:45:13 EST 2009

Nicolas Lavocat wrote:
> In fact, because system froze, I wanted to know where was the problem, so, step
> by step, I removed operations, until try to  read this register, basic operation
> when a PCI device is used. This register can be read with JTAG, and under uboot,
> so I think that it is not a PCI problem..

I agreed this is not a PCI hardware problem as you said. But you want to
read/write PCI device on Linux you have to work under the Linux rules. If you
remove your PCI operation PCI works well I think MMU should be good as well.

BTW, you will make life easier for others if you can attach your crash log.

Best Regards
Tiejun

> Nicolas Lavocat
>
> tiejun.chen a écrit :
>> Nicolas Lavocat wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everybody!
>>>
>>> I' am trying to configure a PCI bridge on a private board, with a
>>> powerpc . In a first time, I tried to get informations about PCI
>>> devices, in order to be sure  that  my read  and write methods work (
>>> using 2 configuration registers, like on an x86 architecture.) . 2
>>> configuration registers  are used, for example we  write  an encoded
>>> address (it is a request to a PCI device) in the first and the answer of
>>> the PCI device can be read in the second register (it is a configuration
>>> cycle)
>>> Firstly, I did it by JTAG: it works. Then, under uboot, it is ok.
>>>
>>> For example, the code used under u-boot:
>>>
>>> volatile u32* addr;
>>> u32 vendor_device_ID;
>>>
>>> puts("PCI1 reading PCI VENDOR and DEVICE ID\n");
>>> addr=CFG_ADDR_PCI1;
>>> *addr=0x80007800;
>>>
>>> addr= CFG_DATA_PCI1;
>>> vendor_device_ID= *addr;