AMCC 440EP phy detection

Eddie Dawydiuk eddie at embeddedarm.com
Wed Apr 8 02:32:51 EST 2009

Hello,

I'm working on a board based on the Yosemite AMCC 440EP eval board. I'm having
some difficulty getting both network interfaces working. The first problem I
found is the ibm_newemac driver was detecting the two phys at address 0 and 1
where we have them wired for addresses 1 and 3. As a result I hardcoded the
phy-address in the dts file. I then found I was able to receive and send data on
eth1(phy-address 3) without incident. Although I found eth0 can receive data but
I see no packets being transmitted(using a packet sniffer) and I see no
indication from a software standpoint of any transmit failures. We are using
Micrel KSZ8041FTL phys(RMII mode) where the Yosemite board used Micrel KS8721BL
phys.  I've reviewed the schematic and it appears both phys are connected
identically and I've seen this same failure on multiple boards. I thought the
fact that the driver detected a phy at address 0 might be a clue, but I can't
make much of the clue. So I thought I'd post this info in the hopes someone else
might have run into a similar problem or have a suggestion.

--
Best Regards,