USB drivers

Li Yang-R58472 LeoLi at freescale.com
Thu Apr 2 18:03:20 EST 2009

> I have a custom board based on the MPC8313ERDB and have
> communications capabilities over Ethernet using internet
> sockets.  Basically, just data transfer from the host (my
> board) to a client (a PC).  I want to be able to perform
> similar transactions across USB.
>
> I have done some cursory reading but am a little unclear on
> how I should approach this.  Am I going to have to write a
> host driver for my custom board, and also write a gadget
> driver for any client machine?  Also, since I am desiring to
> do simple data transfers only, which drivers could I use as a
> point of reference for my application?
>
> Thanks in advance for any tips and suggestions.

Linux has a g_ether gadget, which can simulate a ethernet tunnal over
USB.  If you already have the communication code through ethernet, it
will be easier to make use of that gadget.  However, it has more
overhead than pure usb transactions.  The best way is like you said,
custom gadget driver and host driver.

- Leo