UIO not working on ppc405 onchip registers

Markus Brunner super.firetwister at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 5 16:18:58 EST 2008

On Tuesday 22 July 2008, Ben Nizette wrote:

> But I'll let you get back to solving the UIO problem at hand :-D

I already surrendered and created (hacked) a read/write driver, which let me
use the old userspace drivers I'm trying to port (with some changes of
course). This was way faster than understanding all the involved APIs and
creating glue code between them. And the amount of time it needs was easy to
estimate.

However accidently I ran over the "old school" userland mmap code
with /dev/mem. I already knew mapping with /dev/mem is possible but I haven't
thought this could make a difference.

http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-embedded/2006-August/023811.html

Also I was wrong with my assumption that uio worked well on the peripherals.
It worked (very) well on the leds, just to fool me!!! But it returned crap on
some version registers.

With a working and a non working version of mmap it should be rather easy to
trace this bug. Unfortunately I was already short of time before running into
this (and other) problems and it didn't get any better.
So I would need some help from someone with more experience to fix this.
Any instructions?

Markus