Floating inputs on unused GPIO pins

Laurent Pinchart laurentp at cse-semaphore.com
Mon Oct 13 20:56:56 EST 2008

Hi everybody,

our hardware engineer asked me to make sure all unused GPIO pins are configured as outputs to avoid floating inputs. He got theory on his side (floating inputs can lead to higher current consumption, metastability or even permanent damage), but I'd like to ask the list for practical feedback.

I haven't been able to find any mention of floating input protection in the MPC8248 documents. Has anyone here experienced issues with floating inputs in real-life designs ? Do you setup your board with all unused GPIO pins configured as outputs ?

Best regards,

--
Laurent Pinchart
CSE Semaphore Belgium