Patch: FW:Xilinx: BSP: Updated ML405 to match hardware used fortesting

Guillaume Dargaud dargaud at lpsc.in2p3.fr
Fri Mar 28 21:40:03 EST 2008

>>  I'm trying to get things up and running on a Xilinx Virtex-4 ml405
>> board,
>>  and as such I've been trying to figure out the following recent message
>>  the list:
>>  http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/linuxppc/patch?person=1226&id=17037
>>
>>  I don't understand what this patch applies to: it references files such
>> as
>>  ml405_defconfig which are not part of the normal kernel tree and which I
>>  cannot find anywhere. Is there some other kind of patch that needs to
>> apply
>>  first in order to get for instance CONFIG_XILINX_DRIVERS,
>>  CONFIG_XILINX_EMAC, etc...

> It applies to Xilinx's git tree of the Linux kernel.

Fair enough.

OK, I managed to install git, download the Xilinx kernel source tree,
integrate it into root and compile it successfully...

Now I'd like to understand this ml405_defconfig file. I cannot replace my
.config with it because it gives me:

$ make ARCH=ppc linux26-menuconfig
[ -f
/home/guinevere/buildroot/project_build_ppc/genepy/linux-2.6.24/.config ] |
| cp local/genepy/linux-2.6.24.config
/home/guinevere/buildroot/project_build_pp
c/genepy/linux-2.6.24/.config
/usr/bin/make -j1 HOSTCC="/usr/bin/gcc" HOSTCFLAGS="" ARCH=powerpc
CFLAGS_KERNEL
="-Os -I/home/guinevere/buildroot/build_ppc/staging_dir/usr/include -I/home/guin
evere/buildroot/build_ppc/staging_dir/include --sysroot=/home/guinevere/buildroo
t/build_ppc/staging_dir/ -isysroot
/home/guinevere/buildroot/build_ppc/staging_d
ir -mtune=405"
INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/home/guinevere/buildroot/project_build_ppc/gene
py/root
CROSS_COMPILE=/home/guinevere/buildroot/build_ppc/staging_dir/usr/bin/pp
c-linux-uclibc-
LDFLAGS="-L/home/guinevere/buildroot/build_ppc/staging_dir/lib -
L/home/guinevere/buildroot/build_ppc/staging_dir/usr/lib --sysroot=/home/guineve
re/buildroot/build_ppc/staging_dir/"
LZMA="/home/guinevere/buildroot/toolchain_b
uild_ppc/bin/lzma"  -C
/home/guinevere/buildroot/project_build_ppc/genepy/linux-
2.6.24 menuconfig
make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/guinevere/buildroot/project_build_ppc/genepy/
linux-2.6.24'
scripts/kconfig/mconf arch/powerpc/Kconfig
.config:117:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol WANT_EARLY_SERIAL
.config:122:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol BUBINGA
.config:123:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol CPCI405
.config:124:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol EP405
.config:127:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol SYCAMORE
.config:129:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XILINX_ML300
.config:130:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XILINX_XUPV2P
.config:131:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XILINX_ML403
.config:132:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XILINX_ML405
.config:133:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XILINX_ML41x
.config:138:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XILINX_EMBED_CONFIG
.config:139:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol EMBEDDEDBOOT
.config:140:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol PPC4xx_DMA
.config:142:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol UART0_TTYS0
.config:143:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol UART0_TTYS1
.config:149:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol PC_KEYBOARD
.config:759:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol SERIAL_TEXT_DEBUG

So my question is that even with a full (?) Xilinx kernel, there seems to be
missing drivers. Does this have to do with the BSP ?

Thanks
--
Guillaume Dargaud
http://www.gdargaud.net/