Interrupt handling documentation

Michael Ellerman michael at ellerman.id.au
Wed Mar 12 11:51:28 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 11:58 +0100, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> is there any documentation describing interrupt handling for the powerpc
> architecture ? I'm writing a driver for a cascaded interrupt controller and
> the only source of information I found was the code.

I don't think there's much documentation.

You might want to look at arch/powerpc/platforms/cell/axon_msi.c, it's a
reasonably simple example of how to setup an irq_host and so on - well I
think so :D

> I'm particularly interested in information about irq hosts (allocation and
> initialisation, especially the map and unmap callbacks) and irq chaining.
> Different drivers seem to implement cascaded irqs differently (for instance
> arch/powerpc/sysdev/uic.c uses setup_irq to register the cascaded irq
> handler, while arch/powerpc/platforms/82xx/pq2ads-pci-pic.c uses
> set_irq_chained_handler) so I'm a bit lost here.

uic.c uses set_irq_chained_handler() now, so that probably answers that
question. I don't think it makes all that much difference if you set it
up by hand, but set_irq_chained_handler() is the neat way to do it.

cheers

--
Michael Ellerman
OzLabs, IBM Australia Development Lab

wwweb: http://michael.ellerman.id.au
phone: +61 2 6212 1183 (tie line 70 21183)

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children. - S.M.A.R.T Person