[RFC] Non-numbered ibm iic driver

Sean MacLennan smaclennan at pikatech.com
Sun Jun 29 13:43:39 EST 2008

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 23:25:05 -0400
"Jon Smirl" <jonsmirl at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/28/08, Sean MacLennan <smaclennan at pikatech.com> wrote:
> > This is a patch to the ibm iic driver that uses the non-numbered
> >  i2c call and therefore does not need an index. Instead, it
> > registers the ibm iic, then walks all the child nodes and adds
> > them. This is required for new style drivers, old style drivers
> > "just work".
>
> Check out the code in drivers/of/of_i2c.c. Can you use it instead?

Sure can. The for loop can be replaced with:

	of_register_i2c_devices(adap, np);

I have tested it and it works. I guess it makes sense to put of_i2c.c
under drivers/of, but if it had been under drivers/i2c, I would have
noticed it ;)

But is this the way we want to go? I personally like it. It gets rid of
the index and gets rid of the i2c_register_board_info() from the
platform code.

Cheers,
   Sean