kgdb issues for ppc target

SEEMA pm seema.pm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 07:27:09 EST 2008

Hello,
I have an mpc8540 target board with a BSP - linux-2.6.11. I have a host
machine where I have ppc-target configured gdb obtained from gdb-6.8.tar.gz.
I am able to debug userspace files by running gdbserver in target machine.
Now I want to debug kernel files of my target machine. I have
CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=y, CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=y and CONFIG_SERIAL_TEXT_DEBUG=y.
I want to debug kernel remotely after it's loaded in the target machine as I
do with userspace files. In the host machine when i run: gdb ./uImage, I get
not in executable format - error.

I have downloaded kernel patches : linux-2.6.13-kgdb-2.3 and applied
core-lite.patch,ppc-lite.patch and eth.patch, got lot of hunks and failed
messages. After this when I build uImage I am getting lot of build errors.

It would be really helpful if I can get the list of exact patches needed so
I can make the changes manually as mine is a modified 2.6.11 kernel. Also, I
need steps of how to run it in the target machine through ethernet port.

Thanks