Using DMA interrupt on MPC8313

Ron Madrid ron_madrid at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 17 03:13:12 EST 2008

Here's my code.  There are a few other things that happen but they are inconsequential to this
problem.  I'm sure that the request_irq call is right, especially since it works if the fsldma
drivers are builtin to the kernel.  Also, the irq number 71 comes from the reference manual for
them MPC8313.  It is the internal interrupt for the DMA.  I'll do some more testing in a little
while to try to determine the cause of the error in request_irq.

	int result = 0;
	unsigned int firstminor = 0;
	dev_t dev;

	printk(KERN_ALERT "Hello World Driver!  Hi Ron2!\n");

	result |= alloc_chrdev_region(&dev, firstminor, 1, kModuleName);

	if(result < 0){

		printk("simpc: alloc_chrdev_region failed %u\n", result);

		return result;

	}

	mpc_major = MAJOR(dev);
	mpc_minor = MINOR(dev);

	printk(KERN_ALERT kModuleName " MAJOR NUM = %d\n",mpc_major);

	pdx.devno = MKDEV(mpc_major, mpc_minor);

	cdev_init(&pdx.cdev, &mpc_fops);
	pdx.cdev.owner = THIS_MODULE;
	pdx.cdev.ops = &mpc_fops;
	result = cdev_add(&pdx.cdev, pdx.devno, 1);

	if(result)
		printk(KERN_ALERT kModuleName "-init_module: Error %d adding pdx.cdev", result);

	printk(KERN_ALERT kModuleName "-SIMPC_open: Entering\n");

	pdx.irq = 71;

	printk(KERN_ALERT kModuleName "-SIMPC_open: IRQ = %d\n", pdx.irq);

	if (pdx.irq == 0){

		printk(kModuleName "-SIMPC_open: WARNING-cannot get IRQ\n");
		return 0;
	}

	if (request_irq(pdx.irq, SIMPC_isr, IRQF_SHARED, kModuleName, &pdx)){

		printk(kModuleName "-SIMPC_open: ERROR-Interrupt Request failed.\n"

			"    pdx.irq = %d, SIMPC_isr = 0x%x\n",

			pdx.irq, (int)SIMPC_isr);

		pdx.irq = 0;

	}

	else

		printk(kModuleName "-SIMPC_open: found IRQ %d\n", pdx.irq);