CPM2 mii-bitbang: Allowing mdio on port pins other than port C

Laurent Pinchart laurentp at cse-semaphore.com
Mon Jun 16 18:52:53 EST 2008

Hi Mark,

On Monday 16 June 2008 08:19, Mark Ware wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am preparing a board port (from 2.4.18!) for a proprietary board which
> has it's mdio on a different port than mdc.  The current mii-bitbang
> driver in fs_enet assumes both pins are connected to port C.  I have
> created a fairly simple patch to make this more flexible, but I'm new to
> device trees and am unsure how best to describe the situation in the
> dts.
>
> The current mdio node for CPM2 looks something like:
>
> mdio at 10d40 {
>   device_type = "mdio";
>   compatible = "fsl,cpm2-mdio-bitbang";
>   #address-cells = <1>;
>   #size-cells = <0>
>   reg = <0x10d40 0x14>;
>   fsl,mdio-pin = <12>;
>   fsl,mdc-pin = <15>;
> }
>
> I have made mdio work on our board by adding a second reg range and
> using the first one for mdc and the second one for mdio:
>
>   reg = <0x10d40 0x14 0x10d60 0x14>;  // mdc=port D, mdio=port A
>   fsl,mdio-pin = <12>;    		  // PD12
>   fsl,mdc-pin = <15>;     		  // PC15
>
> The code remains backwards compatible, in that if only one reg range is
> present it is used for both.
>
> Is this a valid (and acceptable) way to extend the reg property?

It is. Sergej Stepanov submitted similar patches some times ago. You can find
them at

http://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg45778.html
http://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg47159.html

> Is their a cleaner way I should look at?

Using the GPIO lib might be cleaner. Have a look at
http://www.nabble.com/-PATCH-0-2--MDIO-on-GPIO-support-for-the-fs_enet-driver-ts17468958.html
for a patch.

Best regards,

--