MMIO and gcc re-ordering issue

Wed Jun 11 04:10:26 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 10:41 -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> On Monday, June 09, 2008 11:56 pm Nick Piggin wrote:
> > So that still doesn't tell us what *minimum* level of ordering we should
> > provide in the cross platform readl/writel API. Some relatively sane
> > suggestions would be:
> >
> > - as strong as x86. guaranteed not to break drivers that work on x86,
> >   but slower on some archs. To me, this is most pleasing. It is much
> >   much easier to notice something is going a little slower and to work
> >   out how to use weaker ordering there, than it is to debug some
> >   once-in-a-bluemoon breakage caused by just the right architecture,
> >   driver, etc. It totally frees up the driver writer from thinking
> >   about barriers, provided they get the locking right.
> >
> > - ordered WRT other IO accessors, constrained within spinlocks, but not
> >   cacheable memory. This is what powerpc does now. It's a little faster
> >   for them, and probably covers the vast majority of drivers, but there
> >   are real possibilities to get it wrong (trivial example: using bit
> >   locks or mutexes or any kind of open coded locking or lockless
> >   synchronisation can break).
> >
> > - (less sane) same as above, but not ordered WRT spinlocks. This is what
> >   ia64 (sn2) does. From a purist POV, it is a little less arbitrary than
> >   powerpc, but in practice, it will break a lot more drivers than powerpc.
> >
> > I was kind of joking about taking control of this issue :) But seriously,
> > it needs a decision to be made. I vote for #1. My rationale: I'm still
> > finding relatively major (well, found maybe 4 or 5 in the last couple of
> > years) bugs in the mm subsystem due to memory ordering problems. This is
> > apparently one of the most well reviewed and tested bit of code in the
> > kernel by people who know all about memory ordering. Not to mention that
> > mm/ does not have to worry about IO ordering at all. Then apparently
> > driver are the least reviewed and tested. Connect dots.
> >
> > Now that doesn't leave waker ordering architectures lumped with "slow old
> > x86 semantics". Think of it as giving them the benefit of sharing x86
> > development and testing :) We can then formalise the relaxed __ accessors
> > to be more complete (ie. +/- byteswapping). I'd also propose to add
> > io_rmb/io_wmb/io_mb that order io/io access, to help architectures like
> > sn2 where the io/cacheable barrier is pretty expensive.
> >
> > Any comments?
>
> FWIW that approach sounds pretty good to me.  Arches that suffer from
> performance penalties can still add lower level primitives and port selected
> drivers over, so really they won't be losing much.  AFAICT though drivers
> will still have to worry about regular memory ordering issues; they'll just
> be safe from I/O related ones. :)  Still, the simplification is probably
> worth it.

me too.  That's the whole basis for readX_relaxed() and its cohorts: we
make our weirdest machines (like altix) conform to the x86 norm.  Then
where it really kills us we introduce additional semantics to selected
drivers that enable us to recover I/O speed on the abnormal platforms.

About the only problem we've had is that architectures aren't very good
at co-ordinating for their additional accessors so we tend to get a
forest of strange ones growing up, which appear only in a few drivers
(i.e. the ones that need the speed ups) and which have no well
documented meaning.

James