Comments on device tree for pcm030

Sascha Hauer s.hauer at pengutronix.de
Mon Jun 9 19:13:35 EST 2008

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 03:08:33PM -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> Why not a compatible field in the top of the tree? Then you wouldn't
> need to list the boards in mpc5200_simple.c.
> 	compatible = "phytec,pcm030","simple-mpc5200";
>
> Device tree has an entry for AC97 on PSC1. I don't think the Phytec
> module or carrier board has AC97 hardware.
>
> The RTC chip says pcf8563, phytec doc says it is a pcf8564.
>
> There should be an i2c entry for the eeprom but I don't know the part
> number for it.
>
> What about the flash on the local bus?  Could we use something like
> this, or the same without the partition data?
>
> 	lpb at ff000000 {
> 		compatible = "fsl,lpb";
> 		ranges = <0 ff000000 01000000>;
>
> 		flash at 00000000 {
> 			compatible = "cfi-flash";
> 			reg = <00000000 01000000>;
> 			bank-width = <2>;

The board comes with different flash sizes with different bank widths.
That's why I decided to no put the flash entries into the tree.
We used to detect the flash size/bankwidth using the bootcs config
register (which was previously set by U-Boot). We could change U-Boot to
adjust the device tree accordingly, but we haven't done this so far,
sorry.

> 			#size-cells = <1>;
> 			#address-cells = <1>;
> 			partition at 0 {
> 				label = "ubootl";
> 				reg = <00000000 00040000>;
> 			};
> 			partition at 40000 {
> 				label = "kernel";
> 				reg = <00040000 001c0000>;
> 			};
> 			partition at 200000 {
> 				label = "jffs2";
> 				reg = <00200000 00D00000>;
> 			};
> 			partition at f00000 {
> 				label = "uboot";
> 				reg = <00f00000 00040000>;
> 			};
> 			partition at f40000 {
> 				label = "oftree";
> 				reg = <00f40000 00040000>;
> 			};
> 			partition at f80000 {
> 				label = "space";
> 				reg = <00f80000 00080000>;
> 			};

I think partitions shouldn't go into the default device tree, as people
may have different partitioning.

Sascha

--
Pengutronix e.K. - Linux Solutions for Science and Industry