"cell-index" vs. "index" vs. no index in I2C device nodes

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Fri Jun 6 08:46:24 EST 2008

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 11:40:37AM -0500, Timur Tabi wrote:
> Grant Likely wrote:
>
> > 2) for i2c purposes, explicit enumeration is not needed or desired.
> > All the necessary data is already present in the device tree in that
> > i2c device nodes are children of i2c bus nodes.  The i2c bus numbers
> > should be dynamically assigned.
>
> NACK.  For ASoC driver, they cannot be dynamically assigned.  I2C1 must be
> labeled as such.

So use aliases, this is exactly what they're for.  How many times do
Grant and I have to say it?

A fallback to cell-index and/or index is acceptable, for easier
compatibility with existing trees, but aliases must be the primary
method for assigning system-wide numbers.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson