"cell-index" vs. "index" vs. no index in I2C device nodes

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Thu Jun 5 01:43:51 EST 2008

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 10:24:15AM -0500, Timur Tabi wrote:
> Stefan Roese wrote:
> > I'm wondering what is currently recommended in the I2C device tree nodes? The
> > current IBM I2C driver (i2c-ibm_iic.c) checks "index" and most FSL dts files
> > use "cell-index". Some 4xx dts files implement "cell-index" some have no
> > index at all.
> >
> > So what should be used here. Please advise and I'll prepare a patch for it.
>
> I just posted a patch for the FSL I2C driver to check for cell-index.  I'm under
> the impression that cell-index is the standard for enumerating devices in the
> device tree.

No, it's the standard for correlating devices with portions of a shared
register block elsewhere.  Your use in the I2C node is merely a hack to
deal with Linux wanting to deal with indices rather than pointers,
combined with a lack of a decent way to look up a device struct from the
device node.

-Scott