MMIO and gcc re-ordering issue

Matthew Wilcox matthew at wil.cx
Wed Jun 4 07:33:11 EST 2008

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 12:43:21PM -0700, Trent Piepho wrote:
> IOW, there are four ways one can defined endianness/swapping:
> 1) Little-endian
> 2) Big-endian
> 3) Native-endian aka non-byte-swapping
> 4) Foreign-endian aka byte-swapping
>
> 1 and 2 are by far the most used.  Some code wants 3.  No one wants 4.  Yet
> our API is providing 3 & 4, the two which are the least useful.

You've fundamentally misunderstood.

readX/writeX and __readX/__writeX provide little-endian access.
__raw_readX provide native-endian.

If you want 2 or 4, define your own accessors.  Some architectures define
other accessors (eg gsc_readX on parisc is native (big) endian, and
works on physical addresses that haven't been ioremapped.  sbus_readX on
sparc64 also seems to be native (big) endian).

> Is it enough to provide only "all or none" for ordering strictness?  For
> instance on powerpc, one can get a speedup by dropping strict ordering for
> IO
> vs cacheable memory, but still keeping ordering for IO vs IO and IO vs
> locks. This is much easier to program for than no ordering at all.  In
> fact, if one
> doesn't use coherent DMA, it's basically the same as fully strict ordering.

I don't understand why you keep talking about DMA.  Are you talking
about ordering between readX() and DMA?  PCI proides those guarantees.

a retrograde step."