MMIO and gcc re-ordering issue

Jeremy Higdon jeremy at sgi.com
Tue Jun 3 18:45:21 EST 2008

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 06:19:05PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 June 2008 18:15, Jeremy Higdon wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes you could, but your writels would still not be strongly ordered
> > > within (or outside) spinlock regions, which is what Linus wants (and
> > > I kind of agree with).
> >
> > Yes they would be.  Writes from the same CPU are always ordered.  Writes
> > from different CPUs are not, but that's only a concern if you protect
>
> They are not strongly ordered WRT writes to cacheable memory. If they
> were, then they would not leak out of spinlocks.

No posted writes are.
As I recall, the outX functions are not supposed to be posted, so the sn2
versions issue a mmiowb in the outX.  But writeX has always been posted,
or at least postable.  I thought that was generally accepted.

Normally, the only way for a device to see cacheable memory is via a DMA
read, and you are guaranteed on sn2 that in the following:

	store of of A to location X
	mmio write to device
	device DMA read from location X

that the device will see A.  In the past, on some other archs, you'd have
to flush the Dcache for that to work.

Granted, if the compiler reorders the store and the mmio write, then you
have a problem.

jeremy