MPC52xx generic DMA using bestcomm

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 23:39:42 EST 2008

On 7/7/08, Matt Sealey <matt at genesi-usa.com> wrote:

>  Andre Schwarz wrote:
>
> > Grant,
> >

>  I know I'm not Grant, but..
>

> > do you know if someone's working on a more generic DMA solution using
> > BestComm engine on 5200B ?
> > Maybe somthing that accepts a sg-list with callback ops or completion ?
> >

>  It was suggested once or twice, not least by me.
>

> > Is it possible right now to accelerate simple memcpy ops ?
> >

>  From my discussions on the subject with Sylvain, it's possible, you just
>  need to use the GenBD and initiate it manually, however it's probably more
>  overhead than work if the data size is small, and BestComm would do better
>  to copy full 32-bit words at a time, and stay aligned, if you have an
> odd-sized
>  transfer from a non-32-bit aligned address, then you may have to do some
>  incredible amount of work which makes the actual transfer not worth doing
>  (by the time you set it up, the CPU could have copied it on it's own
>  already, I guess what you DO gain is a kernel preemption point.. the CPU
>  can do other things that are important)

If you want an Efika specific problem,  the audio hardware is capable
of simultaneously playing music on the S/PDIF and analog outputs. But
to do that the samples have to be alternated as they are fed into the
AC97 stream.  I think the codec can capture that way too but you
didn't put a transceiver on the S/PDIF line.

In my test driver you only get AC97 or S/PDIF. Grant and I are both
working on i2s drivers, when we get those sorted out it shouldn't be
too hard to add ac97 back in. That codec driver I sent you was about
95% complete.