[RFC/PATCH] powerpc/bootwrapper: Allow user to specify additional default targets

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Mon Jul 7 23:34:23 EST 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 7:18 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 00:51:44 -0600
> "Grant Likely" <grant.likely at secretlab.ca> wrote:
>
>> Anyone had a chance to look at this?  I think this could be used to
>> eliminate a lot of the platform specific default targets in
>> arch/powerpc/boot/Makefile by moving them into the defconfigs.  Josh,
>> Kumar, what are your thoughts?
>
> So for cases like Kilauea/Haleakala or Bamboo/Yosemite, you would
> specify Yosemite in the bamboo defconfig?  Or?

If they share a defconfig, then yes, that is what I'm thinking about...

> I actually sort of prefer having a separate defconfig/CONFIG_YOSEMITE
> (as an example) because it's much easier for an end user to figure out
> if the board is supported or not.

...however, these don't have to disappear if you prefer them.

> I could be totally misunderstanding the intention of this patch though,
> so I'll stop rambling and wait to see what the use case is.

Specifically the case I'm thinking of is when a user of a Xilinx FPGA
drops a new .dts file into arch/powerpc/boot/dts (say
'super-sexy-platform.dts').  However, instead of modifying the
Makefile or always typing 'make simpleImage.super-sexy-platform', then
can add 'simpleImage.super-sexy-platform' to their defconfig which I
can see being easier for someone to get their head around.

g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.
Secret Lab Technologies Ltd.