Use aliases instead of linux,network-index on Ebony

David Gibson dwg at au1.ibm.com
Mon Feb 25 17:49:25 EST 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 10:34:43PM -0600, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 11:33:39 +1100
> David Gibson <david at gibson.dropbear.id.au> wrote:
>
> > This patch alters the Ebony bootwrapper to use the new preferred
> > method of using aliases to work out which MAC address to attach to
> > which ethernet device node, rather than the old method based on the
> > linux,network-index property.
>
> I like it.  But do we have this new preferred method documented
> somewhere?  Doesn't seem to be in booting-without-of.txt.  It probably
> should be added there, and reference to the linux,network-index
> property removed if this is really preferred now.  Can you add
> something to this patch for that?

Hrm.  linux,network-index was mentioned in b-w-o.txt, but to be honest
I don't think it ever belonged there.  It describes a bootloader to
kernel interface, whereas network-index was always a bootwrapper
internal hack, applicable only when the device tree and the fixup code
were built into the one image.

aliases, on the other hand do warrent wider mention, and aren't
mentioned at all in b-w-o.txt, but that's a matter of larger scope
than just getting rid of the network-index hack.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson