[patch 0/4] RFC: PCI: consolidate several pcibios_enable_resources() implementations

Russell King rmk-pci at arm.linux.org.uk
Tue Feb 19 19:09:47 EST 2008

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 09:39:52PM -0700, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> There are many implementations of pcibios_enable_resources() that differ
> in minor ways that look more like bugs than architectural differences.
> This patch series consolidates most of them to use the x86 version.
>
> This series is for discussion only at this point.  I'm interested in
> feedback about whether any of the differences are "real" and need to
> be preserved.
>
> ARM and PA-RISC, in particular, have interesting differences:
>     - ARM always enables bridge devices, which no other arch does

ARM does this because there is nothing else which would do that - which
means devices behind bridges would be completely inaccessible.

>     - PA-RISC always turns on SERR and PARITY, which no other arch does

ARM also does this, unless pdev_bad_for_parity(dev) is true.  See
ARMs pcibios_fixup_bus().

> Should other arches do the same thing, or are these somehow related to
> ARM and PA-RISC architecture?

I suspect they're architecture specific; I wouldn't like to do either
on x86, but they're either required or preferred on ARM.

--
Russell King
 maintainer of: