[patch 0/4] RFC: PCI: consolidate several pcibios_enable_resources() implementations

Kyle McMartin kyle at mcmartin.ca
Tue Feb 19 17:11:50 EST 2008

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 09:39:52PM -0700, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
>     - PA-RISC always turns on SERR and PARITY, which no other arch does

I suspect this is because we set the host bus adapters to hard fail
(HPMC) on detecting an error, since we don't want to
	1) return possibly bogus (-1) data
	2) write code to use the (undocumented) error detection

More to the point, I suspect it's extra paranoia because firmware has
set it up this way. I put in a quick hack to test whether those bits
were set, and they came enabled that way by firmware on all the boxes I
tested. (Disclaimer, I didn't have any easily accessible boxes with
add-on cards installed, so firmware might just set it up for core
devices, and we're making sure its set everywhere.)

cheers, Kyle