How to describe FPGA-based devices in the device tree ?

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Tue Feb 19 04:47:01 EST 2008

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 01:43:52PM +0100, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
>                 bcsr at 3,0 {
>                         device_type = "board-control";
>                         reg = <3 0 00000020>;
>                 };

No device_type.  Needs a compatible.

>                 fpga at 4,0 {
>                         reg = <4 0 00010000>;
>                 };
>         };
>
> The fourth device is a FPGA that contains several IP cores such as an
> interrupt controller and a SD/MMC host controller. If I understand things
> correctly, each IP core should have its own node in the device tree to allow
> proper binding with device drivers.

Correct.

> As booting-without-of.txt describes the localbus node ranges as
> corresponding to a single chipselect and covering the entire chipselect
> access window, I can't have nodes for each IP core as children of the
> localbus node.

That does not follow.  The ranges entry has to cover the whole chipselect,
but there's no one-to-one correspondence between nodes and ranges entries.

There's nothing wrong with doing this:

fpga at 4,0 {
	compatible = "foo,bar";
	reg = <4 0 00010000>;
};

fpga at 4,10000 {
	compatible = "foo,baz";
	reg = <4 00010000 00010000>;
};

fpga at 4,20000 {
	compatible = "foo,blah";
	reg = <4 00020000 00010000>;
};

> Should I put IP core nodes as children of the FPGA node ?

You could do that as well.

> If so, how do I map addresses at the FPGA level ? A ranges property in the
> FPGA node would let me map addresses in the FPGA scope to the localbus
> scope. However, as the localbus scope use the chipselect number as its
> first address cell and 0 as its second address cell,

The second cell is the address within the chipselect.  If it were always
zero, it wouldn't be there at all.

-Scott