[RFC/PATCH 2/3] of: add of_lookup_stdout() utility function

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Thu Aug 7 16:12:54 EST 2008

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 11:46:47AM -0500, Timur Tabi wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 1:02 AM, Grant Likely <grant.likely at secretlab.ca> wrote:
> > From: Grant Likely <grant.likely at secretlab.ca>
> >
> > of_lookup_stdout() is useful for figuring out what device to use as output
> > for early boot progress messages.  It returns the node pointed to by the
> > linux,stdout-path property in the chosen node.
>
> I thought linux,stdout-path is deprecated are we're supposed to be
> using the aliases node instead?

During the ePAPR process this idea came up - standardising a 'stdout'
alias that would replace linux,stdout-path in chosen.  However that
was done in ignorance of the history of the linux,stdout-path property
and its connection to the stdout ihandle in chosen.  In any case, the
proposed 'stdout' alias didn't make the final cut for ePAPR, so how to
address this for flat-tree systems is still an open question.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson