filenames with spaces in /sys?

Christian Kujau lists at nerdbynature.de
Wed Apr 30 07:54:13 EST 2008

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Scott Wood wrote:
>> Wouldn't ../pmu-battery.0/power_supply/PMU_battery_0/power be feasible too?
>
> Feasible, yes, but uglier

I did not want to argue about "ugliness", as this is a matter of
personal taste.

> If userspace tools make it awkward to deal with filenames with spaces,
> let's fix the userspace tools.

Usually I would agree. I was only puzzled that filenames in /sys have
spaces at all - I was under the impression spaces should be omitted in
/sys (and /proc, too) for ease of handling (userspace has to specialcase
spaces). And looking at these directories only very few filenames contain
spaces, so it looked like ../PMU battery 0/ somehow "slipped through", as
there's no point in having spaces when almost everything else was using
an unserscore.

> /sys is certainly not the only place they'll be found, and waging war
> against them is a battle best left for a couple decades ago.

Hm, I guess the real solution would be a statement about special
characters in special filesystems in CodingStyle ....and a travel back in
time to have this rule applied of course :)

C.
--
BOFH excuse #190:

Proprietary Information.