[RFC POWERPC] booting-without-of: bindings for FHCI USB, GPIO LEDs, MCU, and NAND on UPM

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Wed Apr 23 06:20:23 EST 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 02:08:45PM -0600, Grant Likely wrote:
> > +    Example:
> > +
> > +       usb-pram at 8b00 {
> > +               compatible = "fsl,mpc8360-qe-muram-usb-pram",
> > +                            "fsl,qe-muram-usb-pram",
> > +                            "fsl,cpm-muram-usb-pram";
> > +               reg = <0x8b00 0x100>;
> > +       };

Why not put it as an additional reg resource on the ucc node, instead of
in its own node?  That's how existing CPM bindings do it.

> > +    t) Freescale QUICC Engine USB Controller
> > +
> > +    Required properties:
> > +      - compatible : should be "fsl,<chip>-qe-usb", "fsl,qe-usb",
> > +        "fsl,usb-fhci"
>
> Again, I'd leave out "fsl,qe-usb" and "fsl,usb-fhci".

QE is the name of a specific IP block, and is unlikely to be broken in a
non-backwards-compatible manner without having a new name such as QE2.  I
think this is taking "no generic names" too far.  If these names *are*
left out, then at least document which chip we're supposed to pick out of
a hat to claim compatibility with.

-Scott