linux-next: x86-latest/powerpc-next merge conflict

Alexander van Heukelum heukelum at fastmail.fm
Mon Apr 21 23:07:13 EST 2008

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 22:13:06 +1000, "Paul Mackerras" <paulus at samba.org>
said:
> Alexander van Heukelum writes:
> > Powerpc would pick up an optimized version via this chain: generic fls64
> > ->
> > powerpc __fls --> __ilog2 --> asm (PPC_CNTLZL "%0,%1" : "=r" (lz) : "r"
> > (x)).
>
> Why wouldn't powerpc continue to use the fls64 that I have in there
> now?

In Linus' tree that would be the generic one that uses (the 32-bit)
fls():

static inline int fls64(__u64 x)
{
        __u32 h = x >> 32;
        if (h)
                return fls(h) + 32;
        return fls(x);
}

> > However, the generic version of fls64 first tests the argument for zero.
> > From
> > your code I derive that the count-leading-zeroes instruction for
> > argument zero
> > is defined as cntlzl(0) == BITS_PER_LONG.
>
> That is correct.  If the argument is 0 then all of the zero bits are
> leading zeroes. :)

So... for 64-bit powerpc it makes sense to have its own implementation
and ignore the (improved) generic one and for 32-bit powerpc the generic
implementation of fls64 is fine. The current situation in linux-next
seems
optimal to me.

Greetings,
    Alexander