linux-next: x86-latest/powerpc-next merge conflict

Paul Mackerras paulus at samba.org
Mon Apr 21 22:10:51 EST 2008

Ingo Molnar writes:

> Paul, do you agree with those generic bitops changes? Just in case it's

Well, it looks OK, but I'm sure people are going to get confused with
fls vs. fls64 vs. __fls all being subtly different.  I'd say it's
worth putting a little file in the Documentation directory to explain
it all.

> not obvious from previous discussions: we'll push them upstream via a
> separate pull request, not via usual x86.git changes. They originated
> from x86.git but grew into a more generic improvement for all. They sit
> in x86.git for tester convenience but are of course not pure x86 changes
> anymore.

I'm not sure why the "add __fls to all 64-bit architectures" change
has to be done as a single patch rather than a patch per architecture
going through the architecture maintainers.  I suppose that avoids any
problem with some maintainers not sending it upstream quickly.  I
would expect that if it is a single cross-architecture patch that it
would go through Andrew Morton, though.  But if Andrew wants you to
handle it then I'm happy to give you an Acked-by for it.

Regards,
Paul.