RFC: MPC5200 PSC AC97 driver

Juergen Beisert jbe at pengutronix.de
Mon Apr 21 18:02:06 EST 2008

Matt,

On Saturday 19 April 2008 14:02, Matt Sealey wrote:
> Grant Likely wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 12:11 PM, Matt Sealey <matt at genesi-usa.com> wrote:
> >>  Juergen Beisert wrote:
> >
> > BTW, is anyone trying to shepherd this driver into the ALSA tree?  Its
> > out of my area of expertise and responsibility, so I haven't been
> > pursuing it.
>
> We (well, I) were going to try but we got some oopses; from one thing or
> another, but with Juergen's fixes and cell-index in place, now it plays
> audio.
>
> Now it can be pushed to ALSA on that basis, but I'm still trying to get my
> head around where we need to throw patches and if it goes into ALSA Drivers
> first or the kernel or both? It's kind of convoluted compared to the ease
> of just CC'ing netdev or linux-ide..

Please don't forget what Sylvian said about this driver: "I also completely
skipped the 5200 (not B) support ..." and your own "I think it should be left
noted here that the CCR size changed from 16 bits to 32 bits from 5200 to
5200B in order to reduce confusion.". Its not solved yet. So any user of an
old MPC5200 will be surprised...

Juergen

--
Dipl.-Ing. Juergen Beisert | http://www.pengutronix.de
    Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686