BestComm/FEC Linux system crash

Rob Broersen rob.broersen at chess.nl
Fri Apr 18 22:08:13 EST 2008

Hi Sylvain,

I'm a colleague of Cees at Chess and also working on the FEC crash error
on our MPC5200B based system running Linux kernel 2.6.15. We seem to
have a breakthrough in the process of finding the bug. We've
investigated the fec_rx_interrupt handler, which contains the following
construction:

    for (;;) {
        sdma_clear_irq(priv->rx_sdma);

        if (!sdma_buffer_done(priv->rx_sdma))
        {
            break;
        }

In this construction, the assumption seems to be made that when an
interrupt is pending (indicating a (new) buffer is filled) the status
field in the buffer descriptor table (checked by sdma_buffer_done() ) is
already updated. We've tested this assumption:
- First, when an interrupt is pending, I've implemented a loop polling
for the buffer to become 'done' with no sleep inbetween for a maximum of
100000 times. The result was that often it took a few 100 polls for the
buffer to become done, followed by the polling loop breaking at 100000
loops without the buffer becoming done.
- After that, I put a 1millisecond sleep period in this polling loop. In
this situation, the buffer always was done within 1 millisecond.

Therefore, it seems that there is some latency between the interrupt
being asserted and the status being written, and continuously polling
the status field from the processor seems to (often) have priority over
the bestComm writing it. The assumption above is proven be wrong,
because the situation where the interrupt is pending but the
corresponding buffer is not done, occurs almost every second in our test
system.

Therefore, it is possible for an interrupt to be cleared while the
corresponding buffer is not handled. We implemented a fix for this
situation, to prevent the interrupt from being cleared when the
corresponding buffer is not yet done:

    if (!sdma_buffer_done(priv->rx_sdma)) return IRQ_HANDLED;

    sdma_clear_irq(priv->rx_sdma);
    for (;;) {
        if (!sdma_buffer_done(priv->rx_sdma))
        {
            break;
        }

With this fix, our systems have been running smoothly for over 16 hours
and counting. The FEC_IEVENT_RFIFO_ERROR hasn't occured anymore. Because
the interrupt isn't cleared but returned immediately in some cases, the
interrupt handler is invoked more often than before, but we don't see a
detremental effect on system performance.

Could you please comment on our findings and our fix? And can you
explain why we see that the interrupt is often received while the status
isn't yet updated? It is not clear to us what is causing the latency
between the update and the interrupt, as it seems to originate from the
same DRD in the BestComm microcode:
    0x046acf80, /* DRD1A: *idx3 = *idx0; FN=0 INT init=3 WS=1 RS=1
*/

Thanx for your help!

Regards,
Rob Broersen.