[RFC fs_enet: Convert MII bitbang driver to use GPIO lib

Laurent Pinchart laurentp at cse-semaphore.com
Fri Apr 18 21:34:29 EST 2008

On Wednesday 16 April 2008 18:09, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 April 2008 18:05, Anton Vorontsov wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 04:40:42PM +0200, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > > This patch converts the MII bitband driver to use GPIO lib for GPIO
> > > access. The driver can now handle MDC and MDIO on different GPIO banks.
> > >
> > > The patch depends on Anton Vorontsov GPIO lib support scheduled for
> > > 2.6.26. It is by no means complete, I just would like to get some
> > > feedback on the approach. I'll resubmit it when the CPM2 GPIO support
> > > patches will be available in the powerpc git tree.
> >
> > Cool! By the way, maybe it is worth splitting it into completely separate
> > driver, e.g. net/mdio_gpio.c?
>
> Splitting it into a completely separate driver makes sense.
>
> > Plus, keep in mind that somebody will eventually want this cool stuff with
> > platform_device bindings in addition. :-)
>
> I'm sure that person will be happy to implement platform_device bindings :-)

I had a first try at moving mdio gpio code into a separate driver.

Very little code is OF-independant, so the driver should probably be called
mdio_of_gpio.c or mdio_ofgpio.c.

Scott Wood was concerned in
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/linuxppc/patch?id=17490 that the gpio lib might
be an unnecessary burden for memory-constraint platforms. Should we keep two
mdio bitbang drivers, one with direct access to the ports and one using gpio
lib ? The later solves the concurrent access issues present in the current
fs_enet mdio bitbang driber.

I'll submit a patch for whichever solution gets selected (modifying the
current fs enet mdio bitbang driver to use the gpio lib, or creating a new
driver).

--
Laurent Pinchart
CSE Semaphore Belgium