[RFC] Using two baud rate generators with the cpm_uart driver

Laurent Pinchart laurentp at cse-semaphore.com
Tue Apr 15 23:32:26 EST 2008

Hi everybody,

thanks to a bad hardware design decision, I'm faced with a software issue with
the cpm_uart driver.

My hardware uses either SCC4 or SMC2 (production-time option) as an RS485 port
with an external transceiver. The transceiver's data direction is controlled
by external logic that monitors the SCC4/SMC2 TxD signal.

The external logic needs an input clock at the baud rate frequency on the
MPC8248 BRG5 output pin (although I could modify it to accept an input clock
at 16x the baud rate frequency). This means the cpm_uart driver has to setup
two baud rate generators instead of one.

The ppc architecture was easy to hack as it used a fs_uart_platform_info
structure in which I added a set_brg function pointer provided by platform
code. This isn't possible with the powerpc architecture anymore.

Is there a clean way to fix this issue ? Kicking the hardware designer won't
help :-)

Best regards,

--
Laurent Pinchart