How to pass information from the bootloader to the kernel ?

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Fri Apr 11 02:36:09 EST 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 9:50 AM, Laurent Pinchart
<laurentp at cse-semaphore.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
>  I need to pass a limited amount of information from the boot loader to the
>  Linux kernel, such as the boot mode chosen by the user or the last boot
>  reason (power up, reset, watchdog, ...).
>
>  What is the best way to pass that kind of information from the boot loader to
>  the kernel ? Should I use the device tree ?
>
>  I thought about populating the chosen node with the data I need. This could
>  make sense for the boot mode, but I feel like I would abuse the chosen node
>  if I used it to pass other "non user chosen" information.

Using the chosen node should be fine.  Just prefix your new properties
with your company name or something so that you don't get namespace
collisions.  However, whatever you do; document it first and post your
documentation to the mailing list for review.

Cheers,
g.

>  Best regards,
>
>  --