Status of patches (ppc32 mm init clean and 85xx kernel reloc)

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Apr 10 20:11:59 EST 2008

>> [POWERPC] Clean up some linker and symbol usage
>>
>> No comments.  Straight forward patch.
>
> Well, it is changing behaviour.  In particular, klimit is not
> necessarily the same as _end.  It starts out initialized to &_end but
> then gets advanced by some allocations very early in the boot IIRC.
> It might be true by now that nothing reserves memory by advancing
> klimit any more, but if that is true then the patch description needs
> to mention that klimit is no longer used and this patch makes it no
> longer usable.  In fact in that case you should remove all mention of
> klimit.
>
> Also, this patch means that the region from PHYSICAL_START to
> __pa(stext) is no longer reserved, which is another behaviour change
> that deserves to be mentioned.

so I see iseries updating klimit.

>> [POWERPC] Update linker script to properly set physical addresses
>>
>> You felt LOAD_OFFSET should be (CONFIG_PAGE_OFFSET -
>> CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START).  I disagreed.  We need to resolve.
>
> I think you're right, actually, now, assuming that
> CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START is the physical address of the start of the
> kernel (actually, why don't you use that instead of __pa(stext) in
> your patch [9/11]?).

I think I can just drop that change in the patch now that I look at
it.  My previous plan had been to get ride of PHYSICAL_START but now
that we still have it I don't see any reason I need to change that
particular lmb reserve.

(i'll repost the full series with a minor bit of re-ordering).

- k