ppc440 caches - change proposal [RFC]

John Bonesio john.bonesio at xilinx.com
Thu Apr 10 04:00:40 EST 2008

Hi Grant,

I have a question about your patch. It appears as if the cache setup code is in a file that would be used only on Xilinx FPGA devices.

I understand that many people are using a bootloader that already sets up the cache for the kernel, but I'm wondering if Xilinx boards are really a special case, or if there may be other non-Xilinx related systems that would also not be using a bootloader.

I also understand the desire to avoid code that does the same work more than once, but I wonder if in this case, it's creating too strong a dependence on the specific behavior of a certain bootloader.
I also wonder if arch/powerpc is being made more complex by trying to split out this code change into a Xilinx specific area, when the change could just be rolled into head_40x.S and we could do away with virtex405-head.S.

Just some thoughts,

- John