ppc440 caches - change proposal [RFC]

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Wed Apr 9 09:15:44 EST 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 4:56 PM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt
<benh at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:

>  On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 15:53 -0700, John Bonesio wrote:
>  > I was thinking it might be good to have the kernel initialize these
>  > cache control registers in it's own start up code. Or perhaps this
>  > could be done in the kernel's simple bootloader. We could probably put
>  > this change in a Xilinx specific startup file, but this change doesn't
>  > seem specific to Xilinx FPGA boards.
>
>  The kernel's wrapper would be a good place to put that I suspect. That's
>  the kind of thing that should be provided as a "library" function to be
>  optionally called by platform code. Either in the wrapper or the main
>  kernel platform code.

Code is already queued up for 2.6.26 to do exactly this on ppc405
virtex platforms.  We can do the same thing for 440.  Look at
virtex405-head.S in the following patch:

http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/linuxppc/patch?person=486&id=17410

Cheers,
g.

--