Booting a Xilinx board

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Wed Apr 9 07:32:26 EST 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 6:30 AM, Guillaume Dargaud <dargaud at lpsc.in2p3.fr> wrote:
> I'm making progress, thanks in no small part to this list, but I still need
> coaching, if you don't mind. The current boot is currently going as such:
>

>  loaded at:     00400000 005A819C
>  board data at: 005A6120 005A619C
<snip>
>  [    4.897987] RPC: Registered udp transport module.
>  [    4.953147] RPC: Registered tcp transport module.
>  [    5.011138] RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
>  [    5.905538] VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
>  [    5.945703] Freeing unused kernel memormdev: /etc/mdev.conf: No such
> file
>  or directory
>  mdev: /etc/mdev.conf: No such file or directory
<snip>
>  mdev: /etc/mdev.conf: No such file or directory
>  mdev: /etc/mdev.conf: No such file or directory
>  mount: mounting configfs on /config failed: No such device
>  Initializing random number generator... done.
>  Starting network...
>  ip: RTNETLINK answers: File exists
>

>  And then it stops, although I still have echo when I type.
>  Now there's no /etc/mdev.conf file in my root fylesystem and I understand I
> need to create the devices.
>  I've been reading docs/mdev.txt and
> http://www.lfs-matrix.org/clfs/view/clfs-embedded/mips/bootscripts/mdev.html
> and I'm a bit confused.

Congratulations, your kernel is in good shape.  Now you're dealing
with userspace issues.  You can try bypassing most of the init process
to see if you can get a prompt.  Add init=/bin/sh to the kernel
command line.

>  - do the devices need to be created in the FS before building the ramdisk
> and subsequent ACE file ?

Yes, you can statically create the device files.  MAKEDEV will do this
for you.  You can even just copy them from a working Linux system (any
arch).

>  - are they created dynamically by /bin/mdev on boot based on a manually
> written /etc/mdev.conf table as the error messages seem to imply ?

That depends on your rootfs.  Where did you get your rootfs image?

>  - can they be generated automagically by a MAKEDEV script ?
>
>  In the second case, how do I know which devices and what names I'm supposed
> to define ?

Easiest way: copy from the /dev tree in a running Linux machine.

Cheers,
g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.