Status of patches (ppc32 mm init clean and 85xx kernel reloc)

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Apr 9 00:06:08 EST 2008

Paul,

Here's my take on the current status of the patchset:

[POWERPC] bootwrapper: Allow specifying of image physical offset

reworked to look at PHDR (needs linker script update patch).  Still
open question on how best to do that (objdump, readelf, C program,
suggestions)

[POWERPC] Remove Kconfig option BOOT_LOAD

should be acceptable.

[POWERPC] Provide access to arch/powerpc include path on ppc64

should be acceptable (desired by others).

[POWERPC] Remove and replace uses of PPC_MEMSTART with memstart_addr

You had some questions about _stext and the PAGE_OFFSET vs
KERNELBASE.  Not sure if you are satisfied with the answers.

[POWERPC] Introduce lowmem_end_addr to distiguish from total_lowmem

No comments.  Should be straight forward.

[POWERPC] 85xx: Cleanup TLB initialization

Only effects 85xx and I don't have issues with it :)

[POWERPC] Use lowmem_end_addr to limit lmb allocations on ppc32

No comments.  Straight forward patch.

[POWERPC] Rename __initial_memory_limit to __initial_memory_limit_addr

No comments.  Straight forward patch.

[POWERPC] Clean up some linker and symbol usage

No comments.  Straight forward patch.

[POWERPC] Move phys_addr_t definition into asm/types.h

I had an open question if the Kconfig for PHYS_64BIT should get set on
PPC64 as well (has not effect).

I reworked the asm/types.h bits to look like:
+#if defined(CONFIG_PPC64) || defined(CONFIG_PHYS_64BIT)
+typedef __u64 phys_addr_t;
+#else
+typedef __u32 phys_addr_t;
+#endif

[POWERPC] 85xx: Add support for relocatble kernel (and booting at non-
zero

Should probably get a bit more review.

[POWERPC] Update linker script to properly set physical addresses

You felt LOAD_OFFSET should be (CONFIG_PAGE_OFFSET -
CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START).  I disagreed.  We need to resolve.

I think we should be able to quickly resolve and get into powerpc-next
all but the '85xx: Add support for relocatable kernel' and
'bootwrapper: Allow specifying of image..' patches.  If we can close
on the phys_addr_t and linker script patches that would be great.

thanks

- k