Please pull linux-2.6-mpc52xx.git

Bartlomiej Sieka tur at semihalf.com
Tue Apr 1 23:37:46 EST 2008

Hi Grant,

Grant Likely wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Bartlomiej Sieka <tur at semihalf.com> wrote:
>> Grant Likely wrote:
>>  > The one part that I have a really strong opinion on is that there
>>  > should be a full featured mpc5200 defconfig for build testing.  Beyond
>>  > that (and if ojn can also be appeased) I can probably be convinced.  :-)
>>
>>  Hi Grant,
>>
>>  How to deal with a situation where I need a particular PHY driver from
>>  libphy compiled in the kernel for one of the MPC5200 boards? Adding it
>>  to mpc5200_defconfig doesn't seem like a right thing to do.
>
> Why not?  mpc5200_defconfig is all about compile and runtime testing
> on many platforms to make sure drivers play well together.  I have no
> problem adding more drivers to the mpc5200 defconfig.  (In fact, I
> encourage it).
>
>>  How to
>>  convince you (and appease ojn) to accept a patch that adds a
>>  board-specific defconfig that only slightly differs from
>>  mpc5200_defconfig? :)
>
> I'm thinking 'optimized' defconfigs should go into a subdirectory.

This requires a change to the top-level Makefile and shepherding this
change upstream. Could we perhaps try to avoid this by having optimized
defconfigs in the form of, for example:

arch/powerpc/configs/tqm5200_opt_defconfig
arch/powerpc/configs/motionpro_opt_defconfig

Or, to signify what is the base defconfig:

arch/powerpc/configs/mpc5200_tqm5200_defconfig
arch/powerpc/configs/mpc5200_motionpro_defconfig

or even:

arch/powerpc/configs/mpc5200_opt_tqm5200_defconfig
arch/powerpc/configs/mpc5200_opt_motionpro_defconfig

Would patch adding an optimized _defconfig along these lines be accepted?

Regards,
Bartlomiej