[NEWBIE] Interrupt-problem mpc5200

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Sat Sep 15 00:53:40 EST 2007

On 9/14/07, Matt Sealey <matt at genesi-usa.com> wrote:
> Grant!
>
> I have a newbie question which I never had properly answered. On the
> MPC52xx and specifically regarding the device tree, how are interrupt
> numbers assigned?
>
> On Efika (and in the DT docs) it's basically the X Y Z where X is the
> type (critical, main, peripheral, sdma), Y is the number of the
> interrupt, and Z is it's sense level.
>
> However while X and Z are easy to derive, how do you work out what Y
> is meant to be given a device? Is it a bit number in the interrupt
> register, or the value of the encoded interrupt register or something
> else algorithmically determined?
>
> I am just finding the code in Linux that derives this number fairly
> elusive (the irq setup function for the mpc52xx platform is truly
> sparse, irq_of_find_and_map isn't much help). Maybe I am just not
> looking in the right place but not being an MPC52xx PIC Expert I
> wouldn't even know where to start...

The l2 irq numbers map directly to the interrupt numbers listed in the
5200b user guide.  For example, on p7-11, the masks are listed for
main interrupts 0 through 16.  and on p7-17,18, the peripherial
interrupts are listed as numbered from 0 to 23 (but notice that it
does *not* line up with bit positions).

However, it is interesting to note that other than in the register
definitions, I don't think there is anywhere in the 5200b user manual
that simple lists the interrupt numbers for each interrupt type.

Cheers,
g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.