[RFC] AmigaOne device tree source v2

Gerhard Pircher gerhard_pircher at gmx.net
Tue Sep 4 22:20:40 EST 2007

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 00:52:02 +0200
> Von: Segher Boessenkool <segher at kernel.crashing.org>
> An: "Gerhard Pircher" <gerhard_pircher at gmx.net>
> CC: linuxppc-dev at ozlabs.org, David Gibson <david at gibson.dropbear.id.au>
> Betreff: Re: [RFC] AmigaOne device tree source v2

> > Wouldn't that be the same as the class-code property?
>
> Sure, except it is a different property.  If you use the "class-code"
> thing, you really should implement _all_ of the PCI binding's required
> properties.  If you don't (since Linux doesn't use it anyway), it might
> still be nice to have a "compatible" property at least (since that is
> what is used for figuring out what device driver to use for this device
> node).  Linux doesn't currently use that either, so you don't have to,
> but you could put it there and it would make sense, that's all.
Okay, I'll add a compatible = "pciclass,0101"; property to the node.
BTW: It looks like the Pegasos II device tree defines device_type = "spi"
for the IDE controller. Is that correct?

> If those addresses really show up in the PCI BARs (most controllers
> don't do that in legacy mode), the kernel's own PCI probing will
> see it already; if they aren't in BARs, it is a bit tricky to encode
> that correctly in the "reg" (it's perfectly well-defined, just a bit
> hard to get it right).
These addresses show up in the PCI BARs of the VIA 686B IDE controller,
even if it is configured for compatible mode.

> There is no such thing as "interrupt 14 and 15" on PCI.  You can use
> the interrupt mapping recommended practice to show two interrupts
> (and their polarity, and how they are routed to the relevant interrupt
> controller) in the IDE node.
But I'll still need a quirk in the IDE driver, because it doesn't make
use of any interrupt routing information in the device tree. If so, I
can omit the whole IDE controller device node and simply rely on the
IDE driver's probe functions and the Pegasos IDE IRQ quirk.
I wonder how this issue will be handled for libata and the via-pata
driver, since IIRC this one doesn't contain the Pegasos IDE IRQ quirk.

Thanks,

Gerhard