Audio codec device tree entries

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Thu Oct 25 03:13:07 EST 2007

On 10/24/07, Jon Smirl <jonsmirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/24/07, Grant Likely <grant.likely at secretlab.ca> wrote:
> > Heh, I'm one of the folks who objected to it; here's what was written:

> > What I objected to was that the pseudo-sound node didn't contain any
> > real information.  It was just being a hook to trigger calling a probe
> > function.  If you're going to do that then you might as well just call
> > it directly from platform code.
>
> Calling it directly from the platform code is an option, but where
> does the fabric driver code live? It doesn't make a lot of sense to
> put ALSA code into arch/powerpc/platforms/52xx. I could make a
> function call from arch/powerpc/platforms/52xx over to
> sound/soc/powerpc but that's not very pretty.
>
> Another option is to make the fabric driver a "struct platform_driver"
> instead of a "struct of_platform_driver". "struct platform_driver" is
> not being probed in the current mpc5200 code. This option makes senses
> to me, "struct platform_driver" will load without a device tree node.
> The driver will still need to check and see if it is on the right
> platform when more than one is compiled in.

Yes, this is a good approach.

> > It would be possible and reasonable for a single fabric driver to work
> > with many different circuit layouts as long as it has the information
> > needed to adapt each instance.
>
> That is how the Apple driver is implemented. There is a single fabric
> driver that uses layout-id to set everything up to match the physical
> PCB.
> sound/aoa/fabrics/snd-aoa-fabric-layout.c
>
> But Apple put the layout id down inside the a sound node:
> /proc/device-tree/pci at f2000000/mac-io at 17/i2s at 0/i2s-a at 10000/sound:
> name             "sound"
> device_type      "soundchip"
> compatible       "AOAbase"
> built-in
> layout-id        00000046 (70)
> object-model-version 00000002
> vendor-id        0000106b (4203)
> platform-tas-codec-ref ff98cba8
> linux,phandle    ff985d48

Yes, this is the same idea.  I don't think benh and segher were
particularly fond of it though.  I think Segher in particular had a
preference for the platform code probing approach.

> > Now is probably a good time to mention that there is *nothing* in the
> > device tree that enforces a 1:1 relationship between device tree nodes
> > and driver instances.  Sure, it make sense to register the i2s and
> > codec drivers from probing on the i2s and codec nodes.  However, there
> > is nothing that prevents the codec driver from *also* registering a
> > fabric driver based on a property in the codec node or the board-level
> > compatible property.
>
> But there is something in the kernel that enforces it. I haven't
> checked the powerpc code, but the PCI code won't probe anymore drivers
> once one has attached to a device. The rule of one driver per device
> is a good one. Places where that rule has been broken have caused a
> lot of problems (fbdev vs DRM).

heh; there's isn't a 1:1 relationship between device tree nodes and
device objects either.  You create the device objects that you need;
either on the platform bus or the of_platform bus.

The probe of an of_platform device can trigger the creation of a
plaform_device node for *another* driver.  This approach is safe.

> > Fabric drivers are codec specific anyway.  It's not all that
> > unrealistic for the device tree binding for a codec to have a list of
> > fabric drivers that it can register.
>
> The codec drivers in asoc are completely agnostic. The same codec
> driver works on x86, arm, powerpc, etc.

Yes the *driver* is agnostic; but the *binding* doesn't have to be.  :-)

Cheers,
g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.